I keep a collection of quotes to keep me motivated. These are the ones that helped me the most when I experienced business loss and the mental health fallout.
Before we start, here are ten famous people who failed before succeeding. They all have one thing in common, they never lost sight of their goals – no matter what. True stories like these are inspirational and motivational.
Singer Kate Perry – dropped from three labels until Capitol Music Group discovered her in 2006
Billionaire Oprah Winfrey – hired by a television station for the news then fired by the producer because she was considered ‘unfit’ for television. The rest is history becoming the undisputed queen of television talk shows with the Oprah Winfrey Show.
Multimillionaire Rapper Jay-Z. Tried tirelessly to strike a record deal. Not a single label would sign him. He eventually started up his own record company and worked really hard to strike a distribution deal. His efforts were finally met with phenomenal success.
First Billionaire Author JK Rowling – single mum – living off welfare. In 1995 twelve publishers rejected the Harry Potter Script but a year later small publishing house Bloomsbury accepted the script.
Walt Disney – fired from the Kansas City Star because his Editor felt he ‘lacked imagination and had no good ideas.’ After several business failures – he eventually landed the big one.
Steven Spielberg – rejected by the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts multiple times. He went on to create ‘Jaws’ in 1975, has won three Academy Awards, 4 Emmys. Etc and his 20 plus movies have grossed more than $US9 billion.
Colonel Sanders (KFC mogul) – fired from dozens of jobs before founding a fried chicken empire.
Vera Wang (fashion designer) – failed to make the 1968 US Olympic figure-skating team. Became Editor at Vogue but was passed over for the Editor in Chief Position. Began designing wedding gowns at age 40 and today is one of the premier designers i the industry with a business worth over $US1 billion. She found another way back into skating – designing costumes for skating champion Nancy Kerrigan.
Thomas Edison – His teachers told him he was ‘too stupid to learn anything.’ He was fired from his first two jobs for not being suitably productive. Edison went on to hold more than 1,000 patents and invented some world changing devices like the photograph, practical electric lamp, and a movie camera.
Henry Ford – ruined his reputation with two failed automobile businesses. Ford proved he had learned from his mistakes when Ford Motor Company forever changed the automotive industry and culture with his assembly line mode of production.
1. ‘People who have put you down are part of your memory and not your destiny.’
2. ‘You will face your greatest opposition when you are closest to your biggest miracle.’
Shannon L Alder
3. ‘Fail 19 times, succeed on the 20th.’
4. ‘It always seems it’s impossible until it’s done.’
5. ‘It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.’
6. ‘If you dream it, you can do it.’
7. ‘Turn your wounds into wisdom.’
8. ‘Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.’
9. ‘Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.’
10. ‘Action is the foundational key to all success.’
11. ‘Do one thing every day that scares you.’
12. ‘Live what you love.’
13. ‘The power of imagination makes us infinite.’
14. ‘To be the best you must be able to handle the worst.’
15. ‘The obstacle is the path.’
16. ‘An obstacle is often a stepping stone.’
17. ‘It is never too late to be what you might have been.’
18. ‘Don’t regret the past, just learn from it.’
19. ‘Everything you imagine is real.’
20. ‘Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.’
21. ‘Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.’
Francis of Assisi
22. ‘The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.’
23. ‘Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.’
24. ‘Stay strong, make them wonder how you’re still smiling.’
25. ‘Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack.’